Wednesday, March 6, 2013

It's Creepy and Eerie...It's the Old Sears Building in Memphis, TN.

Sears Building in Memphis, TN.

So this week I received a phone call out of the blue to go and have a unique opportunity to take a look at the inside of the old Sears building located in Memphis ,TN. This building built in the 1920's was once the distribution capital where most blue collared American citizens in the South received all of their items from when they ordered out of the Sears catalogue. The building today now stands as a dilapidated old piece of history that resembles more of something of a tower of terror. The building itself has been vacant for close to 20 years with the exception of robbers, squatters, and the occasional business developer , but I couldn't resist to see for myself what was behind those doors.


The first thing that you are overwhelmed by when you walk into the magnificent behemoth is the amount of square footage there is....the rooms and hallways seem to go on forever!


Once you get off the main floor most of the floors look similar to this, and you can only imagine how many employees once filled these now dark empty spaces!


The stairways and catwalks throughout were still in surprisingly good condition even though I had to use the crap out of my flashlight inside to see! This place seemed as though it would be a great exploration piece for a ghost hunter team!


After rounding the corner on one staircase we saw these old lettering machines in good condition which if I understood correctly they were used to stamp out the letters on the packages for delivery.


This photo above and the next few photos I took were of the old employee cafeteria on the second floor just behind the old retail store area.





The last work area that I took a photo of were the work stations where there was a pull cord that used to let out styrofoam to fill the package orders before being shipped to your home!
The last view from inside the building is over an empty parking lot that once was an image of a bustling thriving business!

As I left I had to give her one last look up and in disbelief that something once this big and powerful ever succumbed to an end. Also as I look out and see a what appears to be a ghost town surrounding the building it makes you wish this was your shopping destination like the old days instead of today's Walmart madness!

I hope you guys and gals enjoyed my little field trip as much as I did!
This photo was taken inside on the old retail floor by Toy Robot Photography.

3 comments:

  1. I bet there's gonna be lotta ladies ghost here doin' shopping and stuffs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @horrormoviefun you are most correct!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should see this building now. My office is in it.

    ReplyDelete